I have been nominated for a Liebster Award by the uniquely, fabulous Eleanor of A Belated Existence. So, feeling grateful and humbled, I’ll do my best to honor the distinction…
Rules as follows:
I Nominate the following blogs for The Liebster Award:
11 random facts about me:
- I am turning 60 before the end of 2016 and I have mixed feelings about this fact. I often feel like a millennial trapped in a baby boomers body.
- I taught English As A Second Language classes in Balikpapan, Kalimantan Timur, Indonesia way back in 1977 and 1978
- I’ve been in only one serious relationship in my life which was with Greg who is still a great friend. We were together from 1989 – 1996.
- I live in New Mexico which is part of the United States contrary to some folks impression.
- I am a huge nerd and love science fiction novels and movies.
- I am, of course, a Whovian as well as a Star Wars fan and a Trekker – I saw my first Star Trek episode at a neighbor’s house in 1967.
- While in grades 7 – 12 in school I learned how to play the Trumpet, Piano and Guitar.
- In college I was in choir, men’s chorus and I was lead singer and guitarist for a Country/Bluegrass group – I also took a class in electronic music using an old Mogg Synthesizer.
- I spent 6 months doing volunteer work in a Laotian Refugee Camp in Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand in 1980.
- I have been an activist most of my life including participation in ACT-UP and Queer Nation.
- I love animals and my living room has dozens and dozens of plushies each designed to look like a different wild animal. Look below for the photographic evidence! 😄
11 questions from Eleanor Burns who nominated me:
- Why did you start your blog? I wanted to find an outlet to share my stories and opinions as well as connect people with interesting news and features of interest to LGBTQIA communities.
- Has it fulfilled your expectations for it? Partially. My expectations evolved from wanting to share my story and provide an outlet for “queer news and views,” to documenting my coming out as an agender person and slanting my content a bit more to trans related content.
- How do you feel about the Internet as a social environment? The internet is like a dysfunctional family of millions with a niche for nearly every interest, opinion, talent and passion. The upside is that it has allowed many people to find a sense of community and answered questions they need to know the answer to. On the downside it has seen a great uprising of trolls who seem to have nothing better to do then to abuse and denigrate people wherever there is a place to comment.
- If you could meet one world leader, who would it be? United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, because I have been very impressed with his leadership on many of the important issues of our time. He is a voice of reason, compassion and, when need an advocate for action.
- And if you could give them one bit of advice and / or criticism, what would it be? I guess I would encourage him to mobilize the UN to follow the model of the peacekeeping and expand it to sending in teams to help nations address serious issues facing them like deforestation and environmental danger zones to organizing face to face meetings between peoples that don’t understand each other and where prejudices exist.
- What issue do you care most about? That’s a tough one! On a personal level I guess the advancement of LGBTQIA rights and understanding with an emphasis on trans issues. As a global citizen, I’d put the environment at the top of the list. I have been blessed to explore many beautiful wild places and am saddened that there is the real possibility that future generations will not get to see and experience some of the wonders I have. An example, that’s close to my heart, is deforestation on the island of Borneo. Since I was there a few decades ago, the amount of rainforest has been reduced by well over half! Species of mammals like Orangutans, Gibbons, Sumatran Rhino, Clouded Leopard and Pygmy Elephant are all in danger of becoming extinct if more isn’t done. What a tragic loss that would be!
- If you could eliminate one thing from the world, what would it be? Another tough choice! I believe in the interdependent web of human existence; that, poverty, disease, prejudice, famine, sanitation, access to clean drinking water are all equally important. I suppose if I could eliminate greed, it would go along way to destroying a major factor in causing human misery.
- What is your Dungeons and Dragons alignment? (I try to be chaotic good as much as possible, though I suspect I mainly just manage gratuitously nerdy…) I haven’t the remotest clue! Although I’ve known people who’ve played the game in the past, I have never played the game. I do, however, like the sound of “chaotic good.”
- Who is your favourite Doctor Who? While I’ve liked the Fourth, Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh Doctors, my favorite is the current Doctor, The Twelfth Doctor, Peter Capaldi. I suppose it’s because he’s a bit more complicated, a bit more serious and appears chronologically closer to my age. When he started playing rock guitar riffs this season, that settled it!
- If you had a TARDIS, where / when would you take it? I guess I’d first zip back a couple thousand years and visit some biodiversity hot zones to observe the wild at its most pristine. Then I’d pop a couple thousand years in the future to see if we’ve managed to save this planet.
- And if you could be any alien or fantasy species, which would you opt for? For some reason the first creature that popped in my head was the Luck Dragon from The Neverending Story. A sweet, empathetic furry dog-like dragon that can fly; what’s not to like?
11 questions to my nominees:
- Why did you start your blog?
- Has it fulfilled your expectations for it?
- How do you feel about the Internet as a social environment?
- If you could change one thing about LGBTQ Activism, what would it be.
- Describe how you would bridge any generation gap that exists between older and younger LGBTQIA activists.
- What issue do you care most about?
- If you could eliminate one thing from the world, what would it be?
- If you could be one character from literature, whom would you be and why?
- Name your most admired person in the last 60 years and why?
- If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be and why?
- If you could be any non human animal species, which would you choose and why.