In the last two years, the transgender community has seen some historic gains. A series of legal victories made it easier for transgender people to receive health care and find jobs. A transgender actress made the cover of Time Magazine, paired with an article called “The Transgender Tipping Point.”
But a haunting reality persists, untouched by the good news: Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people continue to be killed because of who they are. A record 14 homicides of LGBT people have been reported so far in 2015, according to an open letter released Thursday by the Anti-Violence Project, an advocacy group that publishes an annual report on LGBT violence.
Half of the victims were transgender women of color, the AVP reported.
The circumstances of each death are different. Some victims were killed by domestic partners, others by complete strangers. But there is a thread of similarity running through the cases as well. According to AVP, around half of the slayings this year appear to be hate-motivated violence. In the case of the transgender victims, many are initially misidentified and mis-gendered by both police and media reports.
Agender 👗 Non-Binary Pride
15 Most Recent Posts
- 8 Things Transgender People Do Not Owe You September 1, 2017
- An Animated View of Trans History From The ACLU August 21, 2017
- Non-Binary Video Compilation August 11, 2017
- In A Heartbeat, An Animated Short Film July 31, 2017
- More Than Male And Female July 11, 2017
- Commercial reveals what some LGBT individuals go through in Japan July 3, 2017
- When asked their sex, some are going with option ‘X’ – USA Today June 25, 2017
- On Taking The Sting Out of Slurs by Using Them as Empowerment. June 15, 2017
- Non-Binary Genders and Intersex Individuals June 12, 2017
- I Am Genderqueer (And What the #@%! That Means) | ContraPoints June 12, 2017
- Coming Out as Genderqueer June 12, 2017
- 10 Gender Identities Beyond Male and Female June 3, 2017
- Some Great Music Videos About Sexuality & Gender June 2, 2017
- 8 Things Non-Binary People Need to Know May 26, 2017
- The History of Genderqueer May 20, 2017
JerBear’s Past Posts
- 141,636 hits